What's your idea?

Amphetamine - Deploy settings plist

It would be nice if you could change the settings of Amphetamine by editing or replacing a file, which stores the settings. If I do this with the current version my edited file gets replaced by the old one. That would be a big advantage if you have to deploy the app on hundreds of Macs.

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  AdminWilliam Gustafson (Developer, Instinctual Flaw) responded  · 

During operation, Amphetamine mainly looks to the checkbox states and selected list items in the Preferences UI to determine its behavior. It rarely looks to its .plist for anything after launch.

At launch, of course, Amphetamine, loads all of its data and settings from the plist. If you want to change Amphetamine’s settings by editing its .plist file, I think you’ll need to do 2 things:

1) Make sure Amphetamine is not running.
    2) Use the defaults command line tool. Do not edit the file directly with a text editor.

macOS now caches defaults, so changing .plist the file directly without using the defaults command will most often not work.

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's strange that the welcome window shows every time at launch even if I have unchecked the "Show this window at launch". P.S my macOS version is 10.13.6 and amphetamine version is 3.0.2

• Steve Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For anyone deploying Amphetamine to a large number of users during provisioning, being able to suppress the splash screen, disable the dock icon, and enabling launch on login via the defaults command is imperative.

• Trent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this. I've had disappointing results using mackup (https://github.com/lra/mackup) to keep the com.if.Amphetamine.plist synced with my dotfiles so my settings stay the same on all my devices. Every time Amphetamine is launched, the default settings wipe out mine.

Feedback and Knowledge Base